A Guest Blog by Allie Parsons
Most women that work with me start the conversation because their bodies just feel “off.” Although their blood work looks “normal,” they know something is just not right.
They tell me:
“I used to be an energizer bunny, able to do hard workouts, stay up until midnight, but now I’m just exhausted all day.”
“I used to be able to drop weight easily if I just cut out sugar or carbs for a weekend, but now nothing is working and I look 6 months pregnant all the time.”
“I never had digestive issues before, but now even looking at a pizza sends me straight to the toilet…”
Do any of these sound like you? If so, you may be in a state of Metabolic Chaos®!
Metabolic Chaos is a term used by Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioners to describe stress of any kind that leads to loss of homeostasis, dysfunction, and disease.
It looks something like this:
(Graphic courtesy of FDN)
The Cycle of Chaos:
1. Increased stress from various sources:
– Chemical: poor diet, toxin exposure, chemical
– Physical: over or under exercise, poor sleep, injuries, sickness
– Emotional/mental : lifestyle stress, relationship tensions, existential angst
2. Hormonal Imbalances:
– Cortisol elevated, DHEA lowered
– Painful cycles, PCOS, endometriosis, acne, bloating, and more.
3. Digestive Changes:
– Changes in absorption
– Elevated immune response leading to sickness or allergies
– Digestive issues like constipation, diarrhea, acid reflux, and more
4. Overgrowth of Bacteria, Food Sensitivities, Liver Congestion:
– Poor detoxification and energy usage
– Skin issues, brain fog, fatigue, food sensitivities
5. The Cycle Begins AGAIN because all of these underlying issues then demand more cortisol (essentially creating internal stress)!
The reason focusing on JUST Gut Health or JUST Hormones or JUST Food Sensitivities won’t work, is because the entire body works together! You can’t focus on symptom treatment of just one part of this cycle and expect it to provide long term healing.